Sunday, January 2, 2011

Just a dab will do 'ya'...


It's 2011 and I wonder how long it will take me to stop writing and thinking it's still 2010? I did remember the change yesterday mainly because I'm a techie and numbers like 010111 are more than a little interesting. Does anyone else get a kick out of number patterns?

Well, I'm way off topic tonight as we head into Microfiction Monday #64. Our host Susan, over at Stony River, posts a picture and asks us to compose a "story" in 140 characters or less (including spaces and punctuation). I also struggled a bit with this week's picture-I didn't want to do the obvious but I ended up giving in and going with my gut on this one. Here is this week's picture and my prose:


Carlos motioned the gentleman closer. "Gapacho, look, just for you. Texaco grease-fix your car, your hair, and attract the ladies!" (136 characters) *Note: "Gapacho" means foreigner.

Now I almost gave up on a poem tonight even though I thrive on challenges. My major mistake was trying to write it while guiding my kids to bed, and the words just wouldn't come. I also thought I would tackle it in a couplet, but that was not to be. Here is what I came up with:

He tugged my sleeve
And lured me in
To gaze upon
A tiny tin
Grow hair, tame curls
Add color, get shine
For just pesos
The tin was mine
(Another 136 characters-interesting...)

Well, I hope none of you are having the trouble I was having, and I look forward to reading your posts. And if you are new, why not try your hand at 140 characters of less-just be sure to link up at Stony River.

I promised some upcoming reviews, but it took me a while to get back into the blog after being away for a week-just know that I will be doing these in the next couple days. Happy New Year everyone!

32 comments:

  1. The first one reminds me of a long-ago Saturday Night Live special--"It's a floor polish! It's a dessert topping!" Good one.

    I really like your poem--it scans well, plus it's hilarious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Talk about a double-pleasure, both of your flash tales hit the spot!

    Happy New Year!
    SparkleFarkle~~~~~*

    P.S. Sorry if this turns up as a duplicate post. My first attempt at commenting snagged a White Screen. If you end up reading this twice, just think of it as "doubling your pleasure." LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You did great this week, Susan!! I love them both! Just the giggle I needed for the evening! Hope your new year is off to a great start! Enjoy!

    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Susan, HAPPY NEW YEAR !!!

    I think I remember what Pat was talking about. Your story reminded me of a commercial; now I believe it was from the old SNL.

    Your second reminds me of my 90 year old friend, a widower, who invites ladies to his home to see pictures of his Spring Texas Bluebonnets. I told him he reminded me of the old 'come see my etchings' line joke.
    ..

    ReplyDelete
  5. I thought he looked hispanic too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah, that wily Carlos is SO convincing! Fun story!
    Happy New Year!

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow, very nice poem, I couldn't come up with a poem this time, nothing came to mind but I love yours.

    I know what you mean about the dates, it feels a little weird when the numbers line up like that.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Both of your offerings are great. Your poem made me laugh out loud and I am pretty sure I know the salesman from your first story.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That poem is fantastic! Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I giggled at those! You did a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Both are good, but your poem really made me smile. Nice going.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Enjoyed both the micro and poem. Nicely done.
    I'm back blogging now, with a new blog.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Both utterly brilliant and (might attract the flies too!) I love the new background. :O)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the story and the poem. I could actually hear the accent in the story.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh both are great and very clever takes! Wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  16. LOVE the second one. Too clever! :O)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love both of them. : ) Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  18. You're two great MF just reminds me when I'm having trouble to not give up!
    Just wonderful Susan!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I thought you was talking about a cold vegetable soup....

    ReplyDelete
  20. Gotta like that One Stop Shopping, Very Nice Susann I enjoyed these.

    ReplyDelete
  21. your poem is wonderful!! glad you didn't give up on it

    ReplyDelete
  22. Terrific job on both, and I learned a new Spanish word. :) I like your poem, too; doesn't seem like putting the kids to bed was a deterrent!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Susan,
    Loved the poem...you are so good at these. Glad you didn't give up. Both good MM's this week!

    ~Jean

    ReplyDelete
  24. Liked them both. I played for the first time. Better late than never.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Gotta love those all-purpose products! :))

    ReplyDelete
  26. Wow, wish I got so inspired and poetic putting my kids to bed! Enjoyed both of yours, Susan.

    Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  27. OK--totally impressed with your rhyme-ability and love the concept!!
    Happy New Year!

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Susan, you're so GOOD at these! Loved them both. Your take on the picture is perfect in both of them.

    ReplyDelete

Please make my day and leave a comment.