5 Minutes for Mom is hosting a Rice Krispie summertime challenge for your kids-what type of summer treat could they make with Rice Krispie treats? Well my two kids were intrigued so off to the drawing board they went and this is what they came up with: Krispie flip flops (on a stick).
1. Make the Rice Krispie treats.
2. Cut them into feet using mom's foot cookie cutter.
3. Push a Popsicle stick in the heel
4. Use watermellon or strawberry flavored Laffy Taffy for the flip flop strap. (Just bend it in a triangle and push it into the Krispie foot. You might have to get mom to cut it.)
5. Use a small piece of red licorice to connect to the laffy taffy strap and go between the big toe. (You will need to get mom to cut the licorice into small pieces)
6. Push M&Ms into the toes to make toenails. (My brother wants to use colored icing and sprinkles for his toenails...)
7. Enjoy your snack!
We also tossed the idea around about dipping them in chocolate (since I personally think anything tastes better with a little bit of chocolate), but my idea lost out. Still, it wouldn't be hard to dip the bottoms of the "feet" in melted chocolate, insert the Popsicle sticks, place them on a cookie tray lined with wax paper, then put them in the freezer for the chocolate to harden. You could then decorate them like my kids did or eat them as is.
So, what type of summer snack would your kids make with Rice Krispie treats? You might be pleasantly surprised! The contest has been extended to August 6th, so check it out...