Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Time and I are Not Friends


Time, the ever-elusive element of our day, has never been a friend of mine-not ever. As a child, I was incessantly late-or almost late-to everything: school, scout meetings, choir practice, church, and the list could go on and on.  This drove my mother batty, because with three other daughters, nagging just me about getting ready was nearly impossible. In college I was able to get a handle on my time disability mainly because I had to-professors are not known for waiting to see if and why a student is in clas.  But being the first person at a, let’s just say, a gathering, wasn’t cool, so I couldn't kick the lateness habbit altogether.

 

Fast forward

Now, years later (I will never reveal the number equivalent because I just now realized how big that number is and I am in shock), I would like to say that I have perfected my time management skills, but I still have lapses where I am racing against the clock to try to get somewhere, often mumbling words to myself that I wouldn’t dare out loud. Why do I do this to myself? I had grades to enter and a host of other things to do at the end of my day today, and I was fully aware of Mr. Time while I was doing them, but I still tried to squeeze in just one more activity before it was time to leave. (I had plenty of time...) The end result: I headed out my classroom door only to run back in because I forgot my cell phone (tic, tock), I ran out the door and into a teacher friend of mine who wanted to chat (tic, tock), and got behind a large gasoline truck going 20 miles under the speed limit (tic, tock, tic, tock), then pulled into my driveway just as the kids' bus was coming down the road. And like everything, when you are late for one thing, it snowballs into the rest of your day. I had no down time between taking care of someone else’s kids and taking care of my own-some days I really need this-and as soon as my kids walked through the door it was time to start driving to practice, then I had to come home and start dinner, and so on, and so on… (This reminds me of a line from a commercial... Man, I need to lay off the TV and read a book!)

Time for Chilling

So here I sit, typing this blog post-so thankful to have an outlet where I can unload and be understood. Recently it has gotten even more special because of three unique women from my new on-line community. They not only listened to me gripe and moan without judgment, but they comment regularly to let me know I am not alone, and this week they gave my blog some awards. Molly from Im a Sleeper Baker gave me the over the top award.

I will try not to disappoint anyone in future posts. I am now supposed to pass this along to six other deserving blogs, so here is my list:
Nancy from If Evolution Works has one cool looking site, and her posts are often very humorous.

Sarah from Mommy Lite offers a hilarious take on every day life with kids, but since she just received this award from another blogger, let’s spare her another 6-member list…

Chef Eureka from Two Peas in a Pod , a newly discovered blog that has become a favorite read due to her insightful postings.


The Girl with the Flour in Her Hair at Peeling an Orange with a Screwdriver because of her very funny(and sometimes heart wrenching) posts.

Flory from A Woman's Life Stages because of her beautiful site and often thought provoking topics.

Janie B. from Life Not Wasted or Lost because her site is extremely eye-catching, her posts are often unique, moving topics, and because she never fails to brighten my posts with heart-felt comments. Thanks Janie.
I also received the lovely blogger award from two of my favorite blogs (see list above:)
Janie
Life Not Wasted or Lost and I am now supposed to pass this on to 15 deserving blogs that I have since discovered, but I am getting tired (time is winning again!), so I will try to get this together over the next few days.




Thank you ladies. I have really enjoyed spending time with you this evening, and I look forward to more in the future.
Oops, I almost forgot. The Over the Top award requires me to answer these questions, so here it goes:




  • Where is your cell phone?
    Normally in my purse, right now on the table.











  • Your hair?
    thick











  • Your mother
    dependable











  • Your father?
    crafty











  • Your favorite food?
    burgers











  • Your dream last night?
    don't remember











  • Your favorite drink?
    slow gin fizz(at least it was in college)











  • Your dream/goal?
    early retirement











  • What room are you in?
    living room











  • Your hobby?
    Blogging












  • Your fear?
    death/ilness











  • Where do you want to be in six years?
    anywhere with my family











  • Where were you last night?
    Back to school night











  • Something you aren't?
    even tempered











  • Muffins?
    cinamon/brown sugar











  • Wish list item?
    house addition











  • Where did you grow up?
    Pittsburgh area











  • Last thing you did?
    took the dog out











  • What are you wearing?
    sweat shirt and sweats











  • Your TV?
    off











  • Your pets?
    1 dog, fish











  • Your friends?
    3 good friends, many aquaintances











  • Your life?
    busy











  • Your mood?
    a bit cranky











  • Missing someone?
    no











  • Vehicle?
    mommy van











  • Something you're not wearing?
    jewelry











  • Your favorite store?
    Macy's











  • Your favorite color?
    blue











  • When was the last time you laughed?
    with my husband as son was telling a story











  • Last time you cried?
    hmm...not sure











  • Your best friend?
    from high school











  • One place that I go over and over?
    beach (for vacation)











  • One person who emails me regularly?
    mother











  • Favorite place to eat?
    Chiles
    This was one major list! My blog picks for this award gotta' do the time with this list too. (Make it easy on yourself and copy questions from my site and paste them on yours...)

  • 4 comments:

    1. Susan, Thank you for the award and for the super nice introduction. I have already received that one and have done the list, but I really appreciate your thoughtfulness. It's so great to make new friends blogging!

      BTW, don't let the activities of your life steal your time. Cut, cut, cut!! A relaxed mom is a better mom. Believe me, I know.

      ReplyDelete
    2. Thank you so much for the award. I'm really glad we've "found" each other and I'm looking forward to more great reading here!

      ReplyDelete
    3. Susan, thank you so much for the award! I am happy to hear that my posts are thought provoking - what a writer wants to accomplish. :)

      ReplyDelete
    4. Congratulations on your award and THANK YOU for sparing me the list stuff! HILARIOUS about the tooth fairy thing! You need a better hiding place. :O (That's me laughing really hard...) Sarah

      ReplyDelete

    Please make my day and leave a comment.